[R] Probleme with Kmeans...

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue May 11 12:19:48 CEST 2004

clothilde kussener wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to have any help with the function Kmeans of R..
> I use this to do a classification of my data...I have chosen 12 classes but, I have always an error message:
> Error: empty cluster: try a better set of initial centers
>
> So, I don't understand the probleme with this function..
> Thank you to help me!!

Well, after running, there are less than 12 clusters with observations
found by kmeans(). The error message suggests to specify initial cluster
centers instead of randomly chosen ones, if you have got a rough guess
where centers will be.

BTW: If you have got known "classes", don't you want to perform
classification rather than clustering???

Uwe Ligges