[R] R on Windows Hangs on Packages Built from Sources

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 6 07:51:54 CEST 2004

It must be frustrating, but

- that setup does work for other people
- I don't think we have ever seen a `hang' of that sort.

I would try one of the packages on CRAN which does have a recent binary
compiled.  (I tend to use ash to test, as it is small and uses Fortran.)
If that fails then you need a way to debug the `hang' (and you haven't
told us exactly where it is, so I can't suggest any).

On Wed, 5 May 2004, James Chapman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently having the following problem with R 1.9.0. Any package that
> contains C or Fortran code hangs after I have built it and load it into R.
> I've tried this with RMySQL and udunits, originally I thought I had done
> something subtly wrong in configuring these packages; but I just had the
> same problem with a simple example R package that I wrote. I was able to
> build and load the package on a Linux system at school so I figure I've,
> hopefully, ruled out a programming problem on my part.
>
> The system I'm having the problem on is as follows:
> AMD AthlonXP
> R 1.9.0 installed from binaries
> GCC 3.3.1

Just checking -- gcc 3.3.3 for MinGW as in

[c:/R/rw2000/src/gnuwin32]% gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3.1 (mingw special 20030804-1)

?  Someone sent me several messages recently, and it transpired was trying
to use the cygwin compilers.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk