[R] weirdness in sourc()ing a dump() (bug?)

Webb Sprague wwsprague at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 5 20:53:12 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I dump the result of a long simulation, which I know has run to
completion and returned a fairly complex list of lists of things.
However, when I try to read it back in, I get the following error:

 > source ('../SIMULATIONS/run.1.R')
Error in structure(list(do.extinction.runs, alpha = 1.8, delta.change =
0.005,  : Object "do.extinction.runs" not found

I think the offending part of my dump is:

<SNIP OF LOTS OF DATA>
call.list = structure(list(do.extinction.runs, alpha = 1.8,
         delta.change = 0.005, delta.bar = 0.01, extinction = seq(0.6,
             0.8, 0.005)), .Names = c("", "alpha", "delta.change",
     "delta.bar", "extinction"))),
</SNIP>

The return statement for the simulation is:

<SNIP>
return(list (DATA=my.data, MEANS=data.frame(EXT.CUT=means[,1],
MEAN=means[,2]), run.date=date(), call.list=as.list(match.call())))
</SNIP>

As you can see, I am trying to return my call parameters as a list (so I
can write appropriate titles on my graphs).  It works just fine when do

 > a = do.extinction.runs(blah, blah)

but not when I do:

 > a = do.ext...
 > dump('a', 'foo.R')
 > source ('foo.R')

Any thoughts?  Seems like a bug in dump, and I would be happy to help
squash it if the right person gets hold of me.

Thanks much to a list that might be getting tired of me this week!