[R] p-values

John Maindonald john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
Mon May 3 03:52:00 CEST 2004

Frank -
Thanks for your reply, on which I really have no comment.

There are contexts where a Bayesian approach necessary,
natural and easy to handle, and can be used to broaden
the inferential vision of students.  Examples from HIV
testing and mammography screening in
Gigerenzer's book, sold in the USA under the title:
"Calculated Risks: How to Know When Numbers Deceive You"
(Simon & Schuster)
can be used to make highly important points.
I have, in the section on inference in my book with John Braun,
injected some of this into the discussion of inference.

[Incidentally, Frank's book does have a great deal of
practically oriented comment (e.g., wrt variable selection)
that I have found useful. There is useful critical comment
on inappropriate use of p-values in such contexts.]

John Maindonald.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald at anu.edu.au
phone : +61 2 (6125)3473    fax  : +61 2(6125)5549
Centre for Bioinformation Science, Room 1194,
John Dedman Mathematical Sciences Building (Building 27)
Australian National University, Canberra ACT 0200.