[R] ONE QUESTION IN R-PROJECT

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat May 1 21:40:48 CEST 2004

  It depends. If I had only this specific set of equations to solve, and
I wanted an answer in the next few minutes, I might solve the second
equation to give X in terms of Y , substitute the result in the first,
then plot the result over a range that seemed plausible.

fun2 <- function(Y){
X <- (7-4*(Y^2))/3
2*exp(X)+X^2+3*Y
}
plot(fun2)
fun2.0 <- 2*exp(1)+4
abline(h=fun2.0)

 From here, one can read the solution from the plot: Y is approximately 1.

If you want more than this, see "?optim", work the examples, etc. If you
want more than this, check the references given with "?optim".

hope this helps. spencer graves