[R] results from t-test

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Sat May 1 16:15:02 CEST 2004

F. Patrick Graz wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm rather new to R, and only just subscribed to the mailing list.
>
> I have run into a strange result in a t-test. The data represents the
> the hypothetical differences obtained for a t-test for dependent samples.
>
> All the numeric output looks OK, but the statement that the alternative
> hypothesis is accepted seems rather strange.

It doesn't say which hypothesis is accepted - the printed output just
helps remind you what the alternative hypothesis is.  In this case, a
p-value of 0.73 means you would be really, really safe sticking with the
null hypothesis.

Cheers

Jason
(who is deliberately not dragging the professed non-statistician into
the discussion we've had recently on the merits of p-values).  :)