[R] Zero Index Origin?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 31 22:28:08 CEST 2004

Dear Baz,

I'm inclined to believe that your general advice is correct. As a long-time
APLer who came to R through Lisp-Stat, I think that it's generally a good
idea not to resist the most natural way of programming in R.

On the other hand, introducing a new class and defining methods for it (such
as a method for indexing) doesn't disturb standard methods, as your message
seems to imply. Indeed, the ability to do these kinds of things is in my
view one of the strengths of R (and S more generally). Of course, it is
necessary to implement the new class carefully. Whether it is worth the
trouble to have a class that accommodates zero-origin indexing seems to me
to depend upon the application. I've never myself encountered an application
where this was really desirable.

Regards,
 John