[R] Zero Index Origin?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 31 15:04:13 CEST 2004

Dear Bob,

One approach would be to introduce a class of objects for which zero-based
indexing is implemented. Here's a simple example:

> "[.io0" <- function(x, i) as.vector(x)[i + 1]
>
> v <- 0:10
> class(v) <- "io0"
> v[0]
[1] 0
> v[0:5]
[1] 0 1 2 3 4 5

Of course, a serious implementation would handle arrays and perhaps other
kinds of objects, and would be more careful about the subscript.

I hope that this helps,
 John