[R] italian keyboard and ~ symbol

Henrik Bengtsson hb at maths.lth.se
Tue Mar 30 12:48:26 CEST 2004

<Press-Alt> + Num1 + Num2 + Num6 + <Release-Alt> where Num1, Num2 &
Num6 are 1, 2 & 6 on the *numeric keyboard* (not the ones above the
letter keys) will produce ASCII character 126 ("~", tilde) on my WinXP
Pro in both Rterm and Rgui for R v1.8.1. Do you get anything at all?
Does it work in any other Windows applications or dialogs (you
mentioned Word)? What about <Press-Alt> + Num6 + Num5 + <Release-Alt>
(should give "A")?

You could also consider remapping your keyboard, i.e. for some
physical key replace a "useless/never used" character with "~"
(tilde). Some initial links can be found at
http://www.maths.lth.se/help/windows/keyboard/.

Cheers

Henrik