[R] problem with update.packages()

Berwin A Turlach berwin at maths.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 30 05:57:07 CEST 2004

G'day Stefano,

    SC> Hi.  I'm experiencing a problem with updating packages on R
    SC> 1.8.1 (2003-11-21) on Debian testing.  I get the following
    SC> message when updating for example Design:

    SC> ...  ...  /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lg2c-pic ...
[...]
    SC> Any suggestion?

I ran into a similar problem some time ago.  I had no problems with my
original g77-3.3 from testing.  But then g77-3.3 was upgraded and when
I wanted to compile a package that contained Fortran code, I ran into
this problem.

A bit of investigation showed that the current g77-3.3 version in
testing has (on my machine) in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3
symbolic links for libg2c-pic.a and libg2c-pic.so to libg2c.a and
libg2c.so, respectively, as if the latter libraries are in the same
directory.  But those two libraries are actually installed into
/usr/lib/.  So the symbolic links point into nirvana and ld can't find
the libraries.

My solution was to upgrade to g77-3.3 in unstable (by changing my
preference file in /etc/apt (attached below).  No problems since then.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

        Berwin