[R] Right shift for normality

gwiggner@lix.polytechnique.fr gwiggner at lix.polytechnique.fr
Tue Mar 30 00:29:44 CEST 2004

Hello,

My data is discrete, taking values between around -5 and +5.
I cannot give bounds for the values. So I consider it as
numerical data and not categorical data.

The histogram has a 'normal' shape, so
I test for normality via a chisquare statistic (by calculating the expected
values by hand).

When I use the sample mean and variance, the normality hypothesis has to be
rejected.
But when I test for sample mean + a small epsilon, I get very high p-values.

I am not sure if this right shift is a good idea.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Claus