[R] Could someone email me with the code for glm.nb ?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Mar 29 09:18:13 CEST 2004

Dear Julii,

I think it would be appropriate for you to:

1) consider how much other users of this list need to know how you are
feeling this morning;

2) read and follow the recommendation at the foot of list messages, to
wit: "PLEASE do read the posting guide!
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html"

By reading R documentation, you would note that a common reason for not
finding functions may be that you have not said for example library(MASS)
first. The function you are seeking to use is documented in MASS the book
by Venables and Ripley, which I expect that you have read and value.

Although you may not find it easy to use the central Unix resource at your
university, on which R may not be updated as regularly as it should be, I
feel that researchers also have some responsibilities for their own tools,
and would suggest you install a local copy on a machine you yourself
administer on an operating system of your choice, and keep that copy up to
date. You will also find that R objects save()ed on the central resource
can readily be moved to a local system for analysis, so that responsible
research is still possible even in inclement institutional environments.
Since collaborative work in open source communities is based on people
working together, I hope that you will consider contributing when you have
something to offer.

Stating the R version you have problems with, and giving enough detail to
let the package maintainer (in this case Prof. Ripley) re-create the
setting in which the problem occurred is a minimal offering for a report
to be helpful.