[R] Build problems on Windows with fpTeX and MiKTeX

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Mar 28 15:25:49 CEST 2004

On Sun 28 March 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> The fptex problem has been reported as happening on Unix too.  Rd.sty
> was changed a little while ago, *but only* in 1.9.0 AFAIK.  Does 1.8.1
> patched not work?  I have no problem with fptex, and presume Duncan M
> does not either, as he is distributing binaries of 1.9.0 beta.

On Linux RH9, TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=latex
2003.12.27), using r-devel rsync'ed this morning (1.9.0 beta
(2004-03-28)), checking a package gives:
--------------------------
(/home/rsb/topics/Rtobe190/lib/R/share/texmf/hyperref.cfg
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/color.sty
Package: color 1999/02/16 v1.0i Standard LaTeX Color (DPC)

(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/config/color.cfg)

! Package color Error: No driver specified.

See the color package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.123      }

You should make a default driver option in a file
color.cfg
------------------------
but on r-patched 1.8.1 Patched (2004-02-17) everything is as it was:
------------------------
(/home/rsb/topics/Rtobe181/lib/R/share/texmf/hyperref.cfg
Package color Info: Redefining color Blue on input line 2.
Package color Info: Redefining color Red on input line 3.
Package hyperref Info: Option `hyperindex' set `true' on input line 16.
Package hyperref Info: Option `colorlinks' set `true' on input line 16.
Package hyperref Info: Option `linktocpage' set `true' on input line 16.
Package hyperref Info: Option `plainpages' set `false' on input line 16.
)
-----------------------
The issues seem to be around lines 220-240 in share/texmf/Rd.sty, but
could be related to hyperref.cfg in the same directory - the new Rd.sty
includes the same code as is in hyperref.cfg - should this file still be
there? My TeX is too elementary to know, I'm afraid, but if hyperref.cfg
is renamed to something else, the *.dvi checks to completion using devel
without error, with log:
-----------------------
Package hyperref Info: Bookmarks ON on input line 1797.
Package hyperref Info: Hyper figures OFF on input line 1816.
Package hyperref Info: Link nesting OFF on input line 1821.
Package hyperref Info: Hyper index ON on input line 1824.
Package hyperref Info: Plain pages ON on input line 1829.
Package hyperref Info: Backreferencing OFF on input line 1836.
-----------------------
Renaming/removing hyperref.cfg is also suggested by its absence in the
devel tarball, so this could be a result of rsync not deleting a stale and
now unneeded file, which then gets read and used.

My color.cfg says:
-------------------------
\@ifundefined{pdfoutput}%
  {\let\pdfoutput\@undefined
   \ExecuteOptions{dvips}}%
  {\ifcase\pdfoutput
      \ExecuteOptions{dvips}%
   \else
      \ExecuteOptions{pdftex}%
   \fi}%
I looked at this because I wanted to check packages I answer for on the
beta version, and had deleted the original mails about this before meeting
the same problem myself.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand