[R] With which version of XFree86 can R compile?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Mar 26 23:23:00 CET 2004

Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Note this is not R as distributed by R-core (which does not have
> dataentry_mb.c) but I believe some `Japanized' distribution.  People might
> want to check if the problem is in the changes (which I suspect) or R
> itself.

Yes. On the other hand, the original dataentry.c begins with

#include "Defn.h"
#include "Print.h"

/* don't use X11 function prototypes (which tend to ...): */
#define NeedFunctionPrototypes 0
#include <X11/X.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>

and there is the off chance that the newer X11 is using a symbol in
our Defn.h or Print.h. If so, then we'd like to hear about it ASAP...

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>

> > It isn't clear that R is currently friendly to the new XFree 4.4
> > license.  I believe that there is an advertising clause for linking --
> > does anyone know if this has been addressed or clarified?  I've not
> > been following those issues for a few months.

(R as such is not likely to care since we're not distributing X
libraries or headers, v.4.4 or not. Distributors do care, but if it is
already on the system, I don't see what should prevent people from
installing R.)