[R] (Off topic) Text on General Linear Model.

Rolf Turner rolf at math.unb.ca
Fri Mar 26 18:04:31 CET 2004

A student (at another university) has contacted me for advice about a
good text dealing with the general linear model (which she needs to
know about for her thesis defense).

[One might say that if she used the GLM in her thesis she ***ought***
to know about the concept already, but ought to and does are very
different, so ne'er mind.]

The lady is an engineering student so I guess she'd prefer something
that wasn't too heavy on the theory, but rather explained the ideas
in a clear and intuitive manner.  Pinheiro and Bates is one book that
springs to mind, but I think she might find it a bit overwhelming.

I don't expect that there are many books totally devoted to the topic
of general linear models as such, so I guess I'm really looking for
books which have a chapter or two devoted to general linear models.
Graybill, ``Theory and Applications of the Linear Model'' has a such
a chapter, but I find it very terse and overly formal.  I imagine
that the student in question would react the same way only more so.

I don't have many other ideas to offer this student, so I thought I
would call on the collective wisdom of the R community for
suggestions.

Since this is off-topic, it would probably be best to email me
directly:

		rolf at math.unb.ca

rather than replying to the list.

Thank you for you indulgence.