[R] subsetting based on vector

Vumani Dlamini dvumani at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 14:33:58 CET 2004

Dear R users;

I am trying to write a small program which reads in a data set, and selects
observations from certain years before the analysis. I have a problem
including the selection criteria in the header of the program.

Here is the problem;

dataFIT<-function(MODEL, MARGINS, yearConsidered){
    library(foreign
    CovPaper<-read.spss("C:/Data/data.sav")
    NewData <- list(CovPaper$"YEAR"[CovPaper$"YEAR" == yearConsidered],
                          CovPaper$"YEAR"[CovPaper$"SEX" == yearConsidered],
                      #### and so on #####
   #fit model to data #
}

When I use one year there is no problem, but I would like some data sets to
span over years and I am not sure how to do this without having to change
the body of my fitting program.

I tried searching the R-list but to no avail.

Thanking you in advance.

Vumani