[R] question on R's makefile and configure system

Christopher Marshall christopherlmarshall at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 23 15:26:15 CET 2004

I am trying to make a compiled slackware package for R and I am stuck on one point.

Is there a variable I can set on the "make install" step to cause the R files to be copied into a
subdirectory, instead of being copied into the prefix path specified in "./configure
--prefix=/usr"  anchored at root?

With a lot of packages that use autoconf, the variable DESTDIR serves that purpose.  For example,
with gawk, this sequence:

mkdir /tmp/gawk-package
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/gawk-package

would result in the compiled and distribution files being copied to /tmp/gawk-package/usr, where
they could be processed by a distribution's package creation tools (makepkg, in the case of
slackware).

Is there a variable in the R configure system that serves this purpose?

Chris Marshall