[R] Lattice, skip= and layout= problem, plotting object from nlme output

Michael Dewey m.dewey at iop.kcl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 22:06:22 CET 2004

At 13:28 22/03/04 -0600, you wrote:

[snip my original problem]

>You are seeing documented lattice behavior, but looks like that's
>inconsistent with what happens in S-PLUS. lattice replicates the skip
>vector to be as long as the number of panels per page and uses that for
>every page, while S-PLUS replicates it to be as long as the total
>number of panels spanning all pages.
>
>I can easily fix this for 1.9.0, but this may break old (but probably
>rare) lattice code. For example,
>
>layout = c(2,2,2), skip = c(T,F,F)
>
>will now expand to
>
>page 1: T, F, F, T
>page 2: F, F, T, F
>
>as opposed to the current behavior
>
>page 1: T, F, F, T
>page 2: T, F, F, T
>
>Any objections to that ?

 From my point of view the current behaviour is not very useful, and in
your example either behaviour seems a bit strange so I would not object to
it changing.

Thanks for the quick response, and thanks for making lattice available. I
find myself making so many more graphical displays because they are (a)
easy (b) aesthetically pleasing (c) revealing about my dataset.

>Deepayan

Michael Dewey
m.dewey at iop.kcl.ac.uk