[R] substitute question

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Thu Mar 18 20:15:45 CET 2004

Gabor, I suspect you are overlooking the fact that substitute() does not
evaluate its first argument.  So, in the previous example you were giving
an unevaluated expression as the first argument of substitute().  In your
most recent example you are supplying a function object as the first
argument of substitute() (by supplying it as the value to be substituted
for f).  I think you can get what you want by first doing f <-
Quote(function(){a+1}):

 > f <- Quote(function(){a+1})
function() {
     a + 1
}
 > z <- substitute(substitute(f,list(a=quote(b))),list(f=f))
substitute(function() {
     a + 1
}, list(a = quote(b)))
 > eval(z)
function() {
     b + 1
}
 > eval(eval(z)) # this displays the "source" attribute
function(){a+1}
 > body(eval(eval(z)))
{
     b + 1