[R] Re: 1.8.1 Make problem on SunOS

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Wed Mar 17 14:21:49 CET 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Do you somehow have bash set as your shell for batch
> operations? On that platform you get sh or ksh by default,
> and bash is not even installed by default.

I didn't know that bash was set as the shell for batch
operations and it wouldn't have occurred to me to check.  I
am a user without superuser privileges on this computer.  I
did use chsh to set bash as the shell for terminals, but I
have no idea if that operation sets sets bash as the shell
for batch operations.  Does anyone know how I can tell if I
have [accidentally] set bash as the shell for batch
operations or if this is a system default?  (And how to
change the shell for batch operations?)

> If so, it was a crucial piece of information you haven't
> told us and is something to bear in mind if you need
> future help.

True, but it wasn't obvious that was the missing piece of
crucial info.  The key evidence was:

./config.status: ./confstat28489-19881/subs.frag: cannot overwrite existing file

which pointed to noclobber, and then I got the answer by
trial and error.  I had no idea .bashrc would affect batch
operations or that I should check which shell was set for
batch operations.  Perhaps an addition to the R installation
notes...

Best regards,
Michael Ash