[R] R-business case

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Mar 16 23:21:33 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 04:50:06PM -0500, Jeff Gentry wrote:
> >       Some web sites have "hit counters".  It should be possible to get
> > a counts of the numbers of times different parts of R are downloaded.
> > Do the CRAN web sites include any such?
>
> But how would CRAN know what sort of activity its mirrors is
> receiving?  And what does a 'download' mean in an environment like this -

How about this: R will presumably be used most often on Windoze. As shipped,
the binary will contact the Austrian site by default. If we started with
that, we could have a reasonable snapshot of activity.

I would really like to see download numbers of source or binary CRAN
packages.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page