[R] Terminology and canonical statistical user literature

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 20:18:32 CET 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Lutz Prechelt wrote:

> Brian Ripley wrote (to somebody asking about "effect sizes"):
> > Given that, I wonder if you are used to standard terminology.
>
> Good point. But I think for many of us there is more behind that.

But you have completely missed my point. Asking for how to do X, where X
is a word or two, without any reference or explanation as to what X is,
will be insufficient unless completely standard jargon is used.  Jargon is
great for concise and accurate transmission of ideas, but only if both
sides have the same dictionary.

This is particularly important with a one-way transmission medium like
posting to a list.

It is like the Q yesterday about the `norm of a complex number'.  That's
not standard, but saying it was |x| told us he meant the modulus.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk