[R] nnet classification accuracy vs. other models

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Mon Mar 15 12:31:08 CET 2004

I did a comparison of 15 different methods with a particularly difficult
real dataset. I tried to fine-tune all methods the best as I could. I must
admit that fine-tuning of nnet was by far the longest process, and I am
pretty sure it is still not optimal! I did 100 replicates of random
selection of 2/3 of the data for the training. The rest being used for
estimating accuracy (I could have done a n-fold cross-validation as well) of
the methods. (I got the timing too for the methods, because it is an
important factor in my application). The results are presented in the
attached graph. Here is the legend of the labels:
- lda = linear discriminant analysis,
- qda = quadratic discriminant analysis,
- mda = mixture discriminant analysis,
- fda = flexible discriminant analysis,
- knn = k-nearest neighbourg,
- lvq = learning vector quantization,
- tree = tree method (from tree package),
- rpart = tree method (from rpart package),
- bagg = bagging (from ipred),
- db.l = double bagging with lda (ipred),
- db.k = double bagging with knn(ipred),
- rfor = random forest,
- svm = support vector machine,
- nnet = neural network,
- dvf = discriminant vector forest (a new method I have set up).

You see that, if most median values for total accuracy are around between
77% and 85%, there are a few methods that are a little bit less performant
(tree, rpart, svm and nnet). However, a method like svm (from package e1071)
is usually performing better than that and compares often favorably with
other machine learning techniques. So, I checked with its author (David
Meyer) if it was possible to improve these results, and if I did something
wrong. He did not found a way to improve it much more. However, I did not
the same exercice for nnet.

Anyway, this shows that some differences between methods could be expected
and results are not always as expected (that is, application of these
methods on real data do not always match the results obtained with the
various benchmark artificial data often used to compare these methods)!

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

.......................................................<?}))><....
 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (   Prof. Philippe Grosjean
 \/ECO\ (   Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
 /\___/  )  Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone
/ ___  /(   8, Av. du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
 /NUM\/  )
 \___/\ (   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.33.12
       \ )  email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
 ) ) ) ) )  SciViews project coordinator (http://www.sciviews.org)
( ( ( ( (