[R] 1.8.1 Make problem on SunOS

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Sun Mar 14 11:24:25 CET 2004

I am trying to make R-1.8.1 on (SunOS shell1 5.8 Generic_108528-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2). I did
./configure
make
Configure output seems ok.  The make proceeds until the following line appears, repeated indefinitely (until I break):

./config.status: ./confstat28489-19881/subs.frag: cannot overwrite existing file

I suspect that this may involve write permissions (and maybe
the umask set in config.status). I am attempting the make in
a directory where I have rwx permission.  (I've also tried
this with "./configure --prefix=/home/me" with the same
result.  I don't have superuser permission on the machine in
question and am planning to install R to my home directory.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Michael Ash, Assistant Professor