[R] error() and C++ destructors

Vadim Ogranovich vograno at evafunds.com
Tue Mar 9 20:32:48 CET 2004

One shortcoming of Erik's solution is that it can only catch the exceptions of type error_exception. For example it won't work if my code calls some third party library that can throw exceptions of some other types.

In case it's of interest to someone here is the boilerplate that I ended up using (note the similarity between my errMsg and error_message from Erik's solution):

extern "C" SEXP foo(SEXP x) {
	int hasFailed=0;
	char errMsg[2048];

	// NO C++ objects above this line
	try {
		// do the work
	}
	cach (std::exception e) {
		hasFailed = 1;
		strncopy(errMsg, e.what(), sizeof(errMsg));
	}
	catch (OtherException e) {
		hasFailed = 1;
	}

	// NO C++ objects below this line

	if (hasFailed) {
		error(errMsg);
	}

	return x;
}

One thing I don't like about my solution is that I need to remember to set hasFailed in each and every catch block (and "I often remember to forget these sort of things" :-)