[R] R and tmp directroy

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 19:18:29 CET 2004

Probably you have TMPDIR set in your enviroment to point to
/home/mart/tmp and that does not exist or is not writable.

Solution: don't have variables pointing to inappropriate places?

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Martin Olivier wrote:

> When I start R, it gives
>
> mkdir: Ne peut créer le répertoire `/home/mart/tmp/Rtmp11729'.: No such file or directory
>

> (I specify that my home path is /home/mart and the R version is 1.7.1)
>
> How I have to configure R to use the directory /tmp instead of
> /home/mart/tmp ?
> What is utility of this directory tmp for R?

For temporary files, like all other Unix/Linux applications.
See ?tempdir as well as internal uses (for HTML links, the editor temp
file and so on).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk