[R] Different missing links on Windows in 'check' vs. 'install'

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 13:38:33 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:03:44 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:
>
> >No, both will find links in the same library as installing into (plus
> >those which are fixed up on installation, e.g. to the base package).
> >
> >Several of us have looked for years for a fix, and this is the best scheme
> >we have come up with.  You can't put in absolute paths in the HTML as e.g.
> >a private library may be used with more than one version of R (or R may be
> >updated later).  Short of adding symbolic links to Windows (and getting
> >browsers to follow them), how do you propose `we should fix' it?
>
> Here's a proposal:
>
> All of check and build and install should default to the same library
> location.  Check and build aren't meant to be permanent installs, so
> if the package already exists there, it'll have to be temporarily
> moved out of the way.

You may not own the main library and so not have permission to
install/check/build there.  If you do, you can use check on an installed
copy of the package.  As for build, this is one of the reasons why
Rcmd INSTALL --build was needed, as that installs in the standard place
and then wraps up the installed copy.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk