[R] Different missing links on Windows in 'check' vs. 'install'

Jeff Gentry jgentry at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 9 00:20:29 CET 2004

Hello ...

Using R-1.9.0 alpha, I'm having some problem getting a few packages to
pass check under Windows - specifically with the 'missing link(s)' section
of the package install phase.

I started trying to track down how the missing link was showing up as in
some cases I could not see why the link was considered missing.  For
instance, in one package it was looking for 'makeViewers' although when
the packages is loaded in R, 'makeViewers' is even in the search path (by
way of a dependent package which was loaded initially).

In trying to figure out how these things are determiend, I noticed that in
Windows there was a difference in the reported missing links when one does
'Rcmd check' vs 'Rcmd install' (or 'Rcmd install --build').  In the
example above, using either of the 'install' methods results in that link
not being reported as missing (and if I put in an intentionally missing
link it gets picked up as such), but 'check' reports it as missing.  I'm
wondering what the difference in environment is between check & install on
Windows as that might help me to figure out why check reports these as
missing links.

Thanks
-Jeff