[R] Plot is lost when fitting block as error

Don Driscoll Don.Driscoll at flinders.edu.au
Sun Mar 7 07:19:50 CET 2004

G'day,

Plot doesn't seem to work when I specify block as an error term, but does
if I load block into the model as the first factor (see code below).

Is there some way to make plot work with the fancier model specification?

Also, if anyone knows how to get SEDs for this model I would really like to
know.

response<-c(rnorm(5,5,2),rnorm(5,12,2),rnorm(5,18,2),rnorm(5,12,2))
factor1<-factor(rep(c(1,2),each=10))
factor2 <- factor(rep(rep(c(1,2),each=5),2))
block<-gl(5,1,20)
model<-aov(response~factor1*factor2+Error(block))
plot(model)

#THE RESULT IS:

Error in plot.window(xlim, ylim, log, asp, ...) :
         need finite xlim values
In addition: Warning messages:
1: no finite arguments to min; returning Inf
2: no finite arguments to max; returning -Inf
3: no finite arguments to min; returning Inf
4: no finite arguments to max; returning -Inf

BUT IF YOU SPECIFY THE MODEL AS

model<-aov(response~block+factor1*factor2)

THEN PLOT(MODEL) WORKS AS EXPECTED.

Don.

Dr Don Driscoll
Lecturer in Biodiversity