[R] problem with install.packages and update.packages

Renaud Lancelot renaud.lancelot at cirad.fr
Sat Mar 6 14:05:02 CET 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Well, perhaps the site (which is not www.r-project.org) was unavailable or
> inaccessible when you tried.

Happily it works again, now, but I don't know why...

This morning, I browsed (with IE or Mozilla)
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8/PACKAGES when R was
not able to find it. I tried several times (and was able to download
contributed packages with my browser) and the same problem occurred each
time.

>  Internet caches can make sites appear
> available when they are not, and the download processes do try to avoid
> cached copies.
> You seem to have --internet2 as your command-line flag (from the error
> message), so you do need to check you can access the exact URL *from
> Internet Explorer*.  (BTW, that is a crucial piece of information that you
> did not supply.)  If you use Mozilla, why do you have --internet2?

Because I also use this machine in my office. Our network administrator
wants us to use IE and he configured it to work with the local network
and the proxy server. When I am home (where I use a dial-up modem), I
prefer to use Mozilla.

> Note too that if R has not been changed, this is not a problem with R but
> with your own computer, and we are not going to be able to debug something
> you changed on your own machine, are we?

Sure, and I did not mean that ! I was just puzzled and worried by this
unusual behaviour.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

Renaud