[R] row-echelon form (was no subject)

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Fri Mar 5 10:59:43 CET 2004

I think one needs an LU decomposition rather than QR.
However, I couldn't find anything off the shelf to do
an LU, other than learning that determinant() now
uses LU instead of QR or SVD, so the code to do it must
be in there for those that want it.

You'll probably need to divide rows of U by the first
entry if you insist on the unique reduced REF.

However, I can't see any reason not to use John Fox'
suggested R function for small and well-conditioned
matrices, such as one might have to reduce for
a homework assignment in an introductory linear algebra
course ...

Did anyone ever need a REF in any statistical application?

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}