[R] Map projections

Mark Van De Vyver mvdv at spamcop.net
Thu Mar 4 07:26:47 CET 2004

Hi,
This may already be in the R-help email archive but I can't seem to view
msgs older than 2002/2001....
In trying to work out which map projection I wanted to use I wrote a loop to
print them out, along with the info that is in the documentation of
'mapproj'.  If there is interest I'd like to contribute it to...? I think it
is too big to be an example (121 lines)
Even if there is no sensible place for it to go, I'd like post it and
possibly get some help in ironing out a few things.
Some room for improvement is:
-setting 'good' (i.e. pretty output) parameters for each of the projections,
this will also give a feel for the effect of the projection parameters.
-formatting the text strings so that they fit the plot/map width.
-formatting the text strings so that they scale (pointsize) when making a
multiple plot display.
-improving the appearance when fill is used; some projections look quite
bad, but this may be very tough.  Or maybe I've just got the wong parameter
values.

If it is appropriate to post the R file to the mail list, let me know and
I'll do so.  Alt. I can post the file contents in a message (121 long
lines).  Which is the correct protocol?
TIA
Mark