[R] Scanning tab-separated numbers

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Mon Mar 1 22:23:23 CET 2004

I want to paste in the following numbers into a scan:

0.023	0.032	0.054	0.069	0.081	0.094
0.105	0.127	0.148	0.169	0.188	0.216

they are separated by tabs alone, unless my mailer has done something to
the tabs.

Now have a look at this:

 > scan()
1: 0.0230.0320.0540.0690.0810.094
1: 0.1050.1270.1480.1690.1880.216
Error in scan() : "scan" expected a real, got
"0.0230.0320.0540.0690.0810.094"
 > scan(sep="\t")
1: 0.0230.0320.0540.0690.0810.094
1: 0.1050.1270.1480.1690.1880.216
Error in scan(sep = "   ") : "scan" expected a real, got
"0.0230.0320.0540.0690.0810.094"

Platform: Windows XP   Release 1.8.1

I can't seem to scan in tab-separated numbers even when I try to tell R
to expect that. (this may be related to the Sweave problem I mentioned a
few days ago.)

Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand