[R] Parallelizing spatial computations

Virgilio Gómez Rubio Virgilio.Gomez at uv.es
Mon Mar 1 18:27:08 CET 2004

Hi,

I have to run lots of simulations based on several spatial scan
statistics. Since the main overhead is due to a call to 'apply' , I
was wondering whether it could be possible to parallelize this "loop".

I know there are a few packages for parallel computing in R but I don't
know whether it's worth trying them. Have anyone used these packages
before?

I have a linux machine with two 700-MHz processors and 256 Mb RAM. I
know it's not too much, but I hope to save some time by using both
processors.

Thank you in advance.

--
             Virgilio Gómez Rubio

Grup d'Estadística espacial i temporal
en Epidemiologia i medi ambient

Dpto. Estadística e I. O. - Facultat de Matemàtiques
Avda. Vicent A. Estellés, 1 - 46100 Burjassot
Valencia - SPAIN

http://matheron.uv.es/~virgil

TLF: 00 34 96 354 43 62 - FAX: 00 34 96 354 47 35