[R] naive question

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Wed Jun 30 19:23:37 CEST 2004

To be careful, there's lots more to I/O than the functions read.table() &
scan() -- I was only commenting on those, and no inference should be made
about other aspects of S-plus I/O based on those comments!

I suspect that what has happened is that memory, CPU speed, and I/O speed
have evolved at different rates, so what used to be acceptable code in
read.table() (in both R and S-plus) is now showing its limitations and has
reached the point where it can take half an hour to read in, on a
readily-available computer, the largest data table that can be comfortably
handled.  I'm speculating, but 10 years ago,  on a readily available
computer, did it take half an hour to read in the largest data table that
could be comfortably handled in S-plus or R?  People who encounter this now
are surprised and disappointed, and IMHO, somewhat justifiably so.  The
fact that R is an open source volunteer project suggests that the time is
ripe for one of those disappointed people to fix the matter and contribute
the function read.table.fast()!

-- Tony Plate