[R] Goodness of fit test for estimated distribution

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Jun 29 20:56:44 CEST 2004

      What about Monte Carlo?  I recently produced (with help from
contributors to this list) qq plots for certain complicated mixtures of
distributions.  To evaluate goodness of fit, I produced Monte Carlo
confidence intervals from 401 simulated qq plots and took the 11th and
391st of them for each quantile.  {quantile(1:401, c(.025, .975)) =
c(11, 391)}.  Something like this could be done to obtain a significance
level for ks.test, for example.

      This may not be as satisfying for some purposes as a clean,
theoretical result, but it produced useful answers without busting the
project budget too badly.

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves