[R] unbalanced design for anova with low number of replicates

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon Jun 28 14:40:00 CEST 2004

Arne,

For this sort of things, my suggestion is that you try to seek assistance
from local statistician(s), and I'd be very surprised if there's none for
you.

Data arising from unbalanced designs need no special tools for model
fitting.  The garden variety linear models work just fine.  The problem is
what do you do with the model(s):  The inference is where the problem is.
Unbalanced design introduce (partial) confounding among factors, which makes
assessment of effects tricky.  It really depends on what your goal is.  As
long as you can formulate that in terms of parameters in the `fullest' model
you are willing to consider, then it just comes down to testing specific
(general) linear hypotheses, which can be done `by hand'.  (I believe Greg
also has a glh() or something like that in the gregmisc package.  I'd guess
Prof. Fox's `car' package also has something similar.)

[BTW, if you are going to treat `batch' as a random effect, you might want
to look into mixed effect models; i.e., lme() in either lme4 or nlme.]

Best,
Andy