[R] Installing on Windows packages build on Unix

Harolddd baize at 3dculture.com
Sun Jun 27 22:38:47 CEST 2004

> Giovanni Petris wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanted to share with a colleague a few R functions that I wrote. To
>> this purpose, I created a small package on my machine (Unix) and
>> emailed it to her. Now she is having troubles installing the package
>> on her Windows machine. It seems that on her side, install.packages
>> looks for a "zip" file - while I have created a "tar.gz" file. I tried
>> to build the package with the --use-zip options but that didn't work.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Giovanni

Your Windows using friend can convert the "tar.gz" file to
"zip" using the open-source utility "7-zip". Available at
http://www.7-zip.org/  It doesn't conform to many Windows
conventions, so reading the help files will be necessary.
I found that it was necessary to extract a "tar.gz" file
twice, once to extract from "gz" and again for "tar".

Harold Baize