trying again: [R] write.table when keeping column headers (names of Columns in matrix) and row numbers

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 22 23:19:56 CEST 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Peter Wilkinson wrote:

> Actually .... I was not clear .... I will rephrase
>
> I read what is posted below in the help file already ... I read them often.

But you have not understood it.  Here is an actual example:

> library(MASS)
> write.table(hills, col.names=NA)
"" "dist" "climb" "time"
"Greenmantle" 2.5 650 16.083
"Carnethy" 6 2500 48.35
"Craig Dunain" 6 900 33.65
"Ben Rha" 7.5 800 45.6
"Ben Lomond" 8 3070 62.267
"Goatfell" 8 2866 73.217

As I at least can see, the column names do start in the second column, and
the row names are there.

> ****I want to keep the row references****
>
> My question is _when you keep the row names_, why is the command
> write.table implemented in such a way that the column names are left
> shifted starting in the column where the row names are written?

That is not true if col.names=NA.

>  Does it
> not make sense to have the column names where they are supposed to be,

They are where they are supposed to be, *as documented*

> starting in the second column, if the column names _are_ included in the
> first column?Is there a feature in this that I am missing; why is it
> implemented in this way?

So read.table can read the table in what is a standard format.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk