[R] A way to list only variables or functions?

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jun 21 16:50:24 CEST 2004

Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> I seem to recall that S-PLUS has such a function, but I forget the
> name of it.   Probably R does too, on CRAN if not in the base
> packages.

objects.summary() I think it was.

It always bothered me that the Nth thing you teach Unix users is 'ls'
and the N+1th thing is 'ls -l' (for very small N). Then you teach them
R, and there's no 'ls -l' equivalent immediately obvious.

  Not sure what such a function could show, there being no permissions,
or dates on R objects, but object.size() and class/mode at least would
be useful.

  So is something like this in CRAN? I say +1 to putting it in the base
packages....

Barry