[R] Another NEWBIE

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jun 19 02:03:44 CEST 2004

      SPSS and SAS are data analysis packages with some scripting
capabilities.  The S language is an object oriented programming language
for statistics.  If you want to analyze data using traditional
techniques, use SPSS or SAS or Statistica or Excel or you-name-it.  If
you need to invent new statistical techniques tailored to some
particular application, then you need S, and its most popular current
dialect seems to me to be R.  There are doubtless things that SPSS, SAS,
etc., can do that cannot be accomplished in R with 2 or 10 fairly
obvious commands.  However, I believe that if R had been available 35
years ago, SAS, SPSS, etc., would have been written in R (or in some
other dialect of S not subject to the GNU license, which attorneys
consider controversial and dangerous).  Beyond these generalities, I
believe you can find answers to many of your questions with "the posting
guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html".

      hope this helps.  spencer graves