[R] Resolution of plots

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 17 23:15:11 CEST 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Patrick Connolly wrote:

> |> There is an issue with PNG. libpng provides png_set_pHYs to set resolution
> |> (in pixels/metre) but provides a default if it is not set.  We don't set
> |> it, and so get the default resolution.
>

> I don't follow.  Is that in relation to the function bitmap() or to
> png()?

png().  That records a nominal 72dpi in the info, although it isn't much
used even by PhotoShop/GIMP etc.  (Almost all digital cameras record JPEGs
set to 72dpi, for example. If you want to use such a program to resize to
a physical size it is very easy to edit their idea of the dpi.)

The original question was about a 96dpi limit and I still await
elucidation of what that was about.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk