[R] subset(..., drop=TRUE) doesn't seem to work.

Paul Lemmens P.Lemmens at nici.kun.nl
Wed Jun 16 16:57:02 CEST 2004

Hello!

If I read ?subset, the workings of the argument drop (to me) seem to imply
equivalence of A and B (R 1.9.0):

#A
dd <- data.frame(rt=rnorm(10), c=factor(gl(2,5)))
dd <- subset(dd, c==1)
dd$c <- dd$c[, drop=TRUE]
table(dd$c)

1
5

#B
dd <- data.frame(rt=rnorm(10), c=factor(gl(2,5)))
dd <- subset(dd, c==1, drop=TRUE)
table(dd$c)

1 2
5 0

So to lose the second level of dd$c, in method B I still need to 'dd$c <-
dd$c[, drop=TRUE]', while the manual seems to imply that with the drop
argument to subset() this would not be necessary.

Could you comment?

kind regards,
Paul

--
Paul Lemmens
NICI, University of Nijmegen              ASCII Ribbon Campaign /"\