[R] terminology for frames and environments

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Mon Jun 14 23:33:19 CEST 2004

Thomas Lumley <tlumley <at> u.washington.edu> writes:

: If you think of the nested structure then
: it does make sense and is analogous to what happens with more complicated
: lists and expressions.
:
: If you had
:    e<-quote(b*x)
:    f<- substitute(a+tmp,list(tmp=e))
: x would not appear as an element of f, but would appear as an element of
: an element (yes, I do realise the tree is upside-down compared to an tree
: of environments).

To me this is not inconsistent with a list being analogous to a frame.
In both cases a deep search does not take place.    Thus a frame is a
shallow structure and an environment defined as a frame and its ancestors
is a deep structure (with respect to its parent) so I would expect that
the deep structure would search deeply.