[R] ROC for threshold value, biometrics

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Jun 11 17:06:10 CEST 2004

myint.tin-tin-htar at jvr.ap-hop-paris.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just a beginner of R 1.9.0.
> I try to construct a predictive score for the development of liver
> cancer in cirrhotic patients. So dependant variable is binanry (cancer
> yes or no). Independant variables are biological data. The aim is to
> find out a cut-off value which differentiate (theoratically)  from
> normal to pathological state for each biological data.

A binary endpoing is not a good choice for this problem, as the time to
diagnosis is very important.  Unless you only have a biopsy at a single
fixed time (e.g., 5 years post study entry) it would be good to consider
for example a Cox proportional hazards model.  And there are many
reasons for not using a cutoff, as detailed in my book Regression
Modeling Strategies.

> How can I step in procedue to get a cut-off value (threshold) for each
> variable? I think I should try by ROC. But I'm not sure. If so, someone
> can lead me?

Besides not recommending the use of cutoffs on an overall predicted
value, I think that using cutoffs based on separate analyses of
predictors is even worse.

Frank