[R] Modifying Code in .rda based packages (e.g. lme4)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 15:04:19 CEST 2004

No standard R package is supplied as a .rda, including not lme4.  You
must be looking at a binary installation, and you would do best to
reinstall from the sources.  You could use

R --vanilla
load("..../all.rda")
fix(GLMM)
save(ls(all=T), file="..../all.rda", compress = TRUE)
q()

but we would not recommend it.  Indeed, we do not recommend your altering
functions in other people's packages.  Why not just make a copy of GLMM
with another name and alter that?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk