[R] "attach" in R corr. to Spus one

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Wed Jun 9 16:01:21 CEST 2004

Hallo Andy,

Well, my original respond was to Utsav's question if it is possible to attach a
directory in R as in S+.

I personally prefer to start R session from a directory where I have all data and
results from certain project (txt, doc, xls, png, pdf....). Therefore I use only
.RData and I usually store histories of my work in separate files, so as basically all
my data and my knowledge of attaching different directories in one session is not
at all comprehensive.

But if I am not mistaken you cannot attach a directory without some suitable file
(.RData or saved file) in it but you can specify different working directory by
setwd() and list files in it by list.files(). I presume that after setwd() I can
attach(".RData") to get access to objects from it but ls() still gives me list of
objects stored in an .RData file in the directory from which R was started.

OTOH saving an object by save(object, file="myfile") saves the object to
directory specified by setwd().

Cheers
Petr