[R] "attach" in R corr. to Spus one

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jun 9 14:51:36 CEST 2004

> From: Frank E Harrell Jr
>
> Petr Pikal wrote:
> > Hallo
> >
> > On 9 Jun 2004 at 2:06, Utsav Boobna wrote:
> >

> >>Hi,
> >>    I am a newbie to R, just trying to switch from
> >>Splus. I am wondering to know if there is any such
> >>command in R as "attach" in Splus which can be used to
> >>attach the full directory.
> >

> > I would recommend you to spent some time going through
> docummentation and
> > especially FAQs.
> >
> > getwd and setwd for setting the working directory
> >
> > but in R objects are stored in one file .Rdata.
>
> I prefer to control which objects are stored, and to use
> compression, by
> using save( ) and load( ), rather than using the .Rdata mechanism.
> save( ) can store one object or an entire series of objects
> in one .rda
> file.

I mostly do the same.  For fairly large objects or objects that I do not
want to accidentally alter during a session, I use attach() instead of
load().  One convenience of attach() is that since the objects are not
loaded into .GlobalEnv, I would have a less cluttered .RData even if I do
save the workspace when I q().

Cheers,
Andy