[R] fighting with ps.options and xlim/ylim

Wed Jun 9 04:26:24 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 21:02, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 21:18:34 -0400, ivo welch <ivo.welch at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> > And once I
> >do this, I need different R parameter defaults on the axes.  With the
> >advice I have gotten, I think I am all set now.  However, I am a little
> >bit surprised that noone has written a package around this task---there
> >must be many people that have to produce quarter-page (or half-page)
> >graphics, and probably everyone is tweaking plot parameters a bit
> >differently.
>
> My general strategy for this is to change the width and height used in
> the pdf() or postscript() device call, then just trust the defaults
> chosen by R.  For inclusion in a paper, I generally specify sizes
> about twice as big as I really want, and get text size similar to the
> printed text.  So in your case, assuming a page is around 6 inches
> wide, I'd use something like
>
> pdf(width=3, height=3, ...)
>
> and then get LaTeX to shrink it to half the size.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

I just got Duncan's msg, so I think that we are thinking along the same
lines here.

I agree with Duncan's suggestion relative to trying a 2x scaling factor
and would see how that goes with your particular plot. Then adjust if
need be as you develop some intuition.

Marc