[R] error during make of R-patched on Fedora core 2

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 13:23:19 CEST 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Gavin Simpson wrote:

> Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:51, Gavin Simpson wrote:
> >
> > snip
> >

> >>Thanks Roger and Marc, for suggesting I use ./tools/rsync-recommended
> >>from within the R-patched directory.
> >>
> >>This seems to have done the trick as make completed without errors this
> >>time round. The Recommended directory also contained the links to the
> >>actual tar.gz files after doing the rsync command, so I guess this was
> >>the problem (or at least related to it.) I'm off home now with the
> >>laptop to see if I can finish make check-all and make install R.
> >>
> >>I have re-read the section describing the installation process for
> >>R-patched or R-devel in the R Installation and Administration manual
> >>(from R.1.9.0) just in case I missed something. Section 1.2 of this
> >>manual indicates that one can proceed *either* by downloading R-patched
> >>and then the Recommended packages from CRAN and placing the tar.gz files
> >>in R_HOME/src/library/Recommended, or by using rsync to download
> >>R-patched, and then to get the Recommended packages. The two are quite
> >>separately documented in the manual, and do seem to be in disagreement
> >>with the R-sources page on the CRAN website, which doesn't mention the
> >>manual download method (for Recommended) at all.
> >>
> >>Is there something wrong with the current Recommended files on CRAN, or
> >>is the section in the R Installation & Admin manual out-of-date or in
> >>error, or am I missing something vital here? This isn't a complaint: I'm
> >>just pointing this out in case this is something that needs updating in
> >>the documentation.
> >>
> >>All the best,
> >>
> >>Gavin
> >

> > Perhaps I am being dense, but in reviewing the two documents (R Admin
> > and the CRAN sources page), I think that the only thing lacking is a
> > description on the CRAN page of the manual download option for the Rec
> > packages.
> >
> > You would need to go here now for 1.9.1 Alpha/Beta which is where the
> > current r-patched is:
> >
> > http://www.cran.mirrors.pair.com/src/contrib/1.9.1/Recommended/
> >
> > The standard links on CRAN are for the current 'released' version, which
> > is still 1.9.0 for the moment.
>
> Yes, but having downloaded the contents of that directory (as VERSION
> indicated that R-patched was 1.9.1 alpha), the links to the source files
> for the Recommended packages or not present (obviously). And make
> doesn't seem to work without these links. The rsync approach places the
> package sources *and* the links in the correct directory.
>
> So the instructions in the Admin manual are lacking a statement that you
> need to create links to each of the package sources in the following
> form name-of-package.tgz which links to name-of-package_version.tar.gz.
> As it stands, the instructions in the Installation & Admin manual are
> not sufficient to get the manual download method to work.

You need to run tools/link-recommended.  I've added that to R-admin.

> > Procedurally, I think that the rsync approach is substantially easier
> > (one step instead of multiple downloads) and certainly less error prone.
> > Also the ./tools/rsync-recommended script is set up to pick up the
> > proper package versions, which also helps to avoid conflicts.
>
> I agree - being a bit of a Linux newbie, I hadn't used rsync before.
> Seeing how easy it was to use this method of getting the required
> sources I will be using this method in future.

rsync is great, *provided* you have permission to use the ports it uses.
Users with http proxies often do not, hence the description of the manual
method.  During alpha/beta periods, we do make a complete tarball
available, and I wonder if we should not be doing so with
R-patched/R-devel at all times.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk